Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)

Home|Practice Areas|Immigration|Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)

Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)

Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)

Often, families move to the U.S., one by one, after one resident has made their life here. These residents may be full green card holders, or they may have applied for U.S. citizenship. Immigrants with direct ties to green card holders and U.S. citizens will find their passage to legal U.S. residency easier than otherwise. The Dayton, OH, U.S. immigration attorneys at The VanNoy Firm can help U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents sponsor foreign family members so that they, too, can come live and work in the United States.

Understanding Form 130 for Marriage

In order to bring a foreign national into the U.S. based on a claim of marriage, you must be able to establish that the marriage is not only for the purpose of securing a green card. In other words, you must prove that the marriage is legitimate. To do so, you will need to provide joint bank account statements, marriage certificates, pictures together, and more so that the U.S. knows you are not trying to commit fraud. 

Processing Times

Applicants who are already living in the United States can have their forms processed between 12 and 27 months, depending on multiple factors outside of everyone’s control. For those outside of the U.S., the process can take between 18 and 32 months. Immediate relatives have their petitions processed the fastest, usually between 9 and 13 months.

Who is Allowed to File an I-130?

Green card holders can file an I-130 for immediate children and spouses only. U.S. citizens can file petitions for parents, spouses, children, and siblings. In either case, the individual acts as the petitioner’s sponsor. 

What Must I Prove to Sponsor a Green Card?

You must be able to establish all of the following:

  • You are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) or U.S. citizen
  • You have a legally valid relationship with the individual you are sponsoring
  • The relationship is not fraudulent
  • Proof of name changes, if required
  • Proof of nationality of the petitioner

You may be required to supply documentation such as a birth certificate or other information. If you cannot find this information, you can file your petition and then secure the information while it is being processed. 

Talk to a Dayton, OH, Immigration Lawyer Today

The Dayton, OH, immigration lawyers at The VanNoy Firm help residents bring family members over from abroad. Call today to schedule an appointment, and we can begin filing your documents immediately.


How Can We Help You?

Our premier Dayton attorneys work diligently to defend our clients’ rights with aggressive and individualized legal representation.

Our Immigration Attorney

Why Do People Choose Us?

Because We Win!

You Can Trust Your Future To The VanNoy Firm

How Can We Help You?

Make a consultation with our expert team to solve your problems.

Fill out the form below to schedule a consultation.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.