Employment Authorization

Home|Practice Areas|Immigration|Employment Authorization

Employment Authorization

Employment Authorization Cards and Work Permits for U.S. Immigrants

The attorneys at the VanNoy firm believe it is our job to help you find work in the U.S. and begin living your American dream.

In most cases, you have to be a U.S. citizen or a green card holder to get a job in the United States. However, in some cases, you can get a job without applying for a green card or becoming a full U.S. citizen. Instead, you must apply for an employment authorization card. In this article, we’ll discuss how the Ohio immigration attorneys at the VanNoy Firm help Dayton, Ohio, residents secure work permits in the U.S.

What is an EAD Card or Work Permit?

An EAD card is also known as an employment authorization card or a work permit. Once you have the card, it proves your legal right to work in the United States. Employers are required by law to ensure that all of their employees are lawfully allowed to work in the U.S. The work permit is kept on file by the employer when they are filing tax forms. 

Do I Need to Apply for an EAD Card?

If you have a green card or are a U.S. citizen, you will not need to apply for an EAD card. Asylum seekers, refugees, those on student visas, those under temporary protected status, spouses and fiances of American citizens, and the spouses of children on the following visas:

  • J-2
  • E-1/E-2
  • L-1

Additionally, some work visas only authorize a foreign national to work for one employer or within one industry. Those who want to apply for other positions must apply for an EAD card. Those with pending I-485 or I-589 forms will need to apply for an EAD card before working. 

What Should I Do if I am Not Sure of My Status?

If you want to seek employment, have an opportunity to do so, and do not know if you are authorized to work in the United States, the Ohio immigration attorneys at The VanNoy Firm can review your case, take a look at your current status, and determine which forms need to be filed with the government so that you can start working in the U.S. 

Our attorneys work closely with all of our clients to ensure that they understand their obligations, meet them, and ensure the process runs as quickly and effortlessly as possible. Call today to schedule a free consultation, and we can discuss your next moves today.

How Can We Help You?

Our premier Dayton attorneys work diligently to defend our clients’ rights with aggressive and individualized legal representation.

Our Immigration Attorney

Why Do People Choose Us?

Because We Win!

You Can Trust Your Future To The VanNoy Firm

How Can We Help You?

Make a consultation with our expert team to solve your problems.

Fill out the form below to schedule a consultation.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.