Home|Practice Areas|Immigration


Dayton Immigration Attorney

Going to and staying in the U.S. comes with serious obligations and responsibilities. There are various procedural requirements and laws that should be followed for foreign individuals who want to go and/or stay in the country. This is where immigration laws come in. 

These laws regulate how people from other countries might be eligible for a visa, which type of visa, and under which conditions individuals could be deported. A wide variety of permanent and temporary visas are available to qualified individuals. So depending on your reason for going to the U.S., there’s a specific visa that will suit you. You can learn more about the various U.S. immigration options by speaking with one of our Ohio immigration lawyers here at The VanNoy Firm.

Obtaining a Green Card

A green card, formally known as lawful permanent residency, is essentially a status that allows indefinite residency in the U.S., the ability to study or work in the U.S. without getting permission, and the ability to go in and out of the U.S. with limited restrictions. A green card is typically obtained via a petition by a qualified family member or a prospective employer. The exact relationship between the U.S. sponsor and the foreign individual will usually affect the residency availability and how soon the green card may be granted. 

There are, however, certain conditions under which foreign individuals might petition for a green card without a U.S. sponsor. These include foreign individuals who have extraordinary ability in their field, groups involved in humanitarian programs, and investors who have a positive impact on the country’s economy. 

Going to The U.S. for Work

Foreign nationals who want to work in the U.S. can apply for a non-immigrant or employment-based immigrant visa. Non-immigrant visas, including H visas, allow an individual to work with a particular employer in a particular position. Other visas given for employment purposes include the L visa, which is available for intra-company employees, and the R, P, and O visas, which are available for religious workers, educators, athletes, scientists, and artists. All of these visas require specific evidence of the individual’s qualifications for the offered job position. 

Going to The U.S. for Leisure

Individuals who want to visit the U.S. for leisure or to visit friends or family can apply for non-immigrant visas. Some foreign nationals, depending on their home country, won’t need a visa if their country is part of the U.S. Visa Waiver Program. Other foreign nationals will have to apply for a visa with their home country’s U.S. embassy or consulate. 

There are various types of non-immigrant visas, with the most commonly used being the visitor B1/B2 visas. These don’t allow employment, studying, media work, professional performances, and permanent residency. 

Call Us Today to Connect with Our Experienced Ohio Immigration Lawyers

Laws that govern immigration are among the most complicated laws and could be difficult for a lot of people to really understand. If you’re planning on going to the U.S. for whatever reason or need help with an immigration issue, the Ohio immigration lawyers of The VanNoy Firm can help. You can arrange a consultation with one of our skilled immigration lawyers in Ohio by calling us or filling out our online form

How Can We Help You?

Our premier Dayton attorneys work diligently to defend our clients’ rights with aggressive and individualized legal representation.

Our Immigration Attorney

Why Do People Choose Us?

Because We Win!

You Can Trust Your Future To The VanNoy Firm

How Can We Help You?

Make a consultation with our expert team to solve your problems.

Fill out the form below to schedule a consultation.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.